As 2017 draws to a close, expect social media to be inundated with the “New Year, New Me” posts, coupled with the multitude of failed attempts at resolutions. But why are resolutions so difficult for many of us to commit to and so easy for us to fail at? I think the answer lies in what we set as our resolutions. How genuine are these goals and how accurately do they reflect our true desires? Are we attempting to learn a new skill because it might help us with our personal marketability or because it sounds cool to say? How about those fitness plans… because it’s the easiest goal to think of or because we really have a vested desire to be healthier?
A few years ago, I changed my approach towards resolutions. Instead of focusing my attention on setting goals, I started using this time for deep thought and then allowed goals to unfold from my thought process. For me personally, I think introspection is needed for growth. This allows me to reflect on all that I accomplished and decide what is most important for me to focus on as we move into the new year.
One of the tools that helped me was an introspection article, which included a list of 100 questions that can sometimes help in your thought process and maybe allow some goals to unfold for 2018. I’m sharing some of my faves with the hope that they can assist you as they’ve done for me. Allow your thoughts to run as deeply as possible… not simply answering the question but focusing on the why in your answer.
- When was the last time you told someone “I love you”?
- When was the last time someone told you that they love you?
- Can you be alone without feeling lonely?
- What is one thing you love most about yourself?
- What made you feel the most alive this year?
- What did you do this year that you regret?
- What made you cry the hardest this year?
- Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
- What did you accomplish this year that you’re most proud of?
- Was 2017 better or worse than 2016?
- Who is that one person you can talk to about anything?
- Are you comfortable with being uncomfortable?
- If you died tomorrow, what would you be most remembered for?
- What was the best book you read this year?
- When did you feel most at peace this year?
- Who might you owe an apology to at the end of this year?
- What’s the most important thing you learned this year?
- Are your actions guided by love or fear?
- Do the people you surround yourself with add value to your life?
- Are you more likely to follow the crowd or listen to your own heart?
- What is one thing that you could start doing to immediately improve the quality of your life?
- When was the last time you did something nice for yourself?
- What was the last new thing you learnt?
- Are you a happy person?
- If you had to give a child one piece of advice, what would it be?
- Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
- Is there someone who has hurt or angered you that you need to forgive?
- What has my heart been telling me that I might be ignoring?
- Where am I not being honest with myself and why?
- What would you do differently if you only had one more year to live?
Stay tuned for my 2018 resolutions in a blog post coming soon.